Lets you select an Excel file to use in the automation and enables StudioX to integrate with Excel. The data in the file is available to all the activities added inside Use Excel File. This means that when you configure child activities, you can select data from the file directly from StudioX. If the Excel file does not exist at the time you design the automation, you can define an existing Excel file with the same structure as a template for use at design time.
If you use a file with the .xls extension, the data in the file is not available for selection directly from the Plus menu when configuring the activities added inside Use Excel File. To select data from the file, either use the Indicate in Excel and Custom Input options, or save a .xlsx copy of the file and add it as a Template file.
To learn how to use this activity, see:
- Tutorial: Creating a Pivot Table.
- Tutorial: Iterating through Rows in a Table.
- Tutorial: Comparing Excel Files and Emailing Reconciliation Errors.
- Excel file - Click Browse next to the field, and then browse to and select an Excel file to use in the automation. To create a new file when the automation is executed, browse to the folder where to create it and enter the file name.
If you need to work with a file with a dynamic name, such as a file downloaded daily under a different name, you can provide the file path using one of the options in the Plus menu on the right side of the field. For example, select a cell in the Project Notebook where the file path can be extracted daily using the provided formulas, or select Ask when run to enter the path of the file when executing the project. In this situation, if you want to be able to easily configure the activities that use data from the file, select another Excel file with the same format as a Template file.
- Reference as - Enter a name by which to refer to the file in the automation project.
- Template file - If the Excel file you want to automate is dynamic or does not exist at the time you design the automation (for example, the file is downloaded or created by the automation), select this option to use another Excel file that has the same structure at design time.
The data in this file is available for selection from the Plus menu, allowing you to easily configure the activities added inside Use Excel File. The template file is used only at design time. When the automation is executed, it processes the file defined in the Excel file field.
- DisplayName - The name displayed for the activity in the Designer panel.
- EditPassword - The password required for editing the Excel workbook, if the file is password-protected.
- Password - The password required for opening the Excel workbook, if the file is password-protected.
- WorkbookPath - The path to the Excel file. If the file does not exist and you select the CreateNewFile option, StudioX creates the file.
- Private - If selected, the data used in the activity is not logged by StudioX.
- AutoSave - Saves the workbook on each change caused by an activity. If disabled, the changes are saved only when the execution of the project is completed. This option is selected by default.
- CreateNewFile - When selected, if the workbook cannot be found at the specified path, a new Excel workbook is created with the name specified in the WorkbookPath property field. When cleared, if the workbook cannot be found at the specified path, an error message is displayed. This option is selected by default.
- ReadOnly - If selected, the specified workbook is opened in Read-Only mode. Selecting this check box enables you to perform data extraction operations in an Excel file which is locked for editing or has an edit password. This option is not selected by default.
Updated 17 days ago