Recording can help you save a lot of time when automating your tasks. The App/Web Recorder captures your actions as you perform them on the screen and generates a Use Application/Browser activity with a series of activities inside it based on your actions.
All user interface elements are highlighted while you record so that you can be sure the correct buttons, fields, or menus are selected. The recorder captures a default action for each type of UI element and also allows you to manually choose the desired action before performing it.
The recorder displays a preview of the activities that will be added to your project in real time. The preview includes informative screenshots that are also added to the activities in the automation project. All screenshots are saved as .png files in a folder named
.screenshots inside the project folder.
Each recorded action generates an activity. The following table lists the actions you can record and the activities that are generated for them. Some actions are automatically recorded, which means the corresponding activity is automatically generated, while others must be manually selected before being recorded. For more information, see Automatically Generated Activities and Manually Generated Activities.
- Clicking on buttons, links, and other clickable elements such as icons or images. A Click activity is generated.
- Typing text in a text area such as a text box. A Type Into activity is generated.
- Selecting or clearing a check box. A Check/Uncheck activity is generated.
- Sending keyboard shortcuts using your keyboard. A Keyboard Shortcuts activity is generated.
- Selecting an item from a drop-down. A Select Item activity is generated.
- Copying text using the Get Text activity.
- Hovering over an element using the Hover activity.
- Highlighting an element using the Highlight activity.
- Open the application or web browser page you want to automate.
- Click App/Web Recorder in the Studio ribbon or press Ctrl+Alt+R on your keyboard.
If the UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities package is also installed, you'll find this option under Recording.
The App/Web Recorder window is displayed.
- Click Record to begin.
- Move the mouse to the window of the application you opened in step 1. When the window is highlighted in blue, click anywhere inside it to indicate it as the application you want to automate.
- Individual elements in the window are highlighted as you move the mouse over them.
- To record the automatically detected action for the UI element you want to interact with, click the target element.
- To manually indicate the action you want to record, hover the mouse over the target element, and then select an option from the Choose action hover menu that appears next to the element.
After a manually added action is recorded, the Recorder returns to automatic selection mode.
You can change the layout of the menu from detailed to compact, or pin it so that it is always visible during the recording using the buttons in the upper-right side of the menu.
- Some actions require your input before an activity is generated, so make sure to provide the necessary information when prompted, and then press Enter on your keyboard or click Confirm. For example, if you selected a text box, a Type Into action is detected and you are prompted to enter the text to type.
- The action is performed and the activity is generated. To continue, select the next element to interact with in a similar way, and repeat this until all the actions are recorded.
- When you are done recording your actions, click Save and return to Studio to close the Recorder and add the activities to your project.
While recording, you can:
- Add a 5 seconds delay in element selection by pressing F2 on your keyboard. You can do this if, for example, an element you need to interact with is not in the visible area of the screen and you need time to scroll down to it.
- Switch to another application by clicking Change application . This enables you to record actions in multiple applications or web pages. The actions performed in each application are added as activities inside a separate Use Application/Browser activity.
- Pause recording at any time by clicking Pause . To resume recording, click Record again.
- Manage the activities added so far using the preview under Recorded Steps:
- Remove an activity by clicking Delete in the upper-right corner of the activity.
- Configure the input or output of some activities:
- Edit the text to type for Type Into.
- Update the selection for Select Item.
- Change the action for Check/Uncheck.
- Remove recorded sequences for Keyboard Shortcuts.
- Select where to save the copied text for Get Text.
When recording in the StudioX profile, the Indicate in Excel option is not available in the Plus menu. To indicate Excel data, select named cells, use the Custom Input option, or leave the field blank and use Indicate in Excel after completing the recording and returning to the StudioX designer.
The following activities are automatically generated when the corresponding action is detected. If needed, you can update the properties of the activities after completing the recording.
- Click - Generated when you select a button or a link while recording. The click type and mouse button are also recorded.
- Type Into - Generated when you select a text box or other editable UI elements while recording.
After you select the text field, you are prompted to enter the text to complete the action. You can select Plain text to enter the text directly in the dialog box, or Expression to select Excel data or saved for later values from the Plus menu (in StudioX) or an expression (in Studio). By default, the Empty field option is selected to remove any existing text before typing.
- Select Item - Generated when you select a drop-down list or combo box while recording. After you select the drop-down, you are prompted to select an item from the list to complete the action.
- Check/Uncheck - Generated when you select a radio button or a check box. The default action to perform on the check box is Toggle.
- Keyboard Shortcuts - Generated when you press a combination of keyboard shortcuts while recording.
In some situations, you must manually choose the action to perform next before recording the action and generating the activity.
- The following actions cannot be recorded automatically:
- Copy text from an application or web browser using a Get Text activity. After choosing the action and selecting the target element, if you are using Studio, you are prompted to save the text to a variable. In StudioX, you can select where to save the copied text from the Recorded Steps activity preview.
- Hover over a UI element using the Hover activity.
- Highlight a UI element using the Highlight activity.
- The action that is recorded automatically may not be the desired action. For example, you clicked the text area in Notepad with the intention to type into it, but the action recorded by default was Click. In this case, you can delete the action added by default and manually add the intended activity.
Updated 12 days ago