The default language of an OCR engine is English. This can be changed for any of the built-in engines by accessing the Properties panel and adding the name of the language between quotation marks, as seen in the screenshots below:
For the Tesseract OCR engine, the Language field needs to contain the language file prefix, such as “ron” for Romanian, “ita” for Italian, "jpn" for Japanese, and “fra” for French.
ABBYY FineReader Engine includes the majority of supported OCR languages by default. They can be used right after a successful installation of the engine.
The language for the Microsoft OCR engine can also be changed in a Screen Scraping activity when selecting “OCR” as the Scraping Method.
This can also be done for the Tesseract OCR engine.
ABBYY OCR is not available in the default Screen Scraping window. You can change the language of the OCR engine by modifying the Language property.
To add a language to your system and then use it in your workflow:
- Go to Start Menu > Settings, the Windows Settings window opens. Make sure to maximize the window.
- Access Time & Language, the Date & time window opens.
- On the left side menu, select Region & language. Under Languages, click Add a language.
- Choose your preferred language and click Next. The Install language features window opens.
- Uncheck the Set as my Windows display language check box. Click Install and wait for the installation to finish.
- Restart UiPath Studio for new languages to become available. The language can now be used in Studio by adding its name between quotation marks (“Japanese”).
If a language is simply added and not installed it cannot be used by the Microsoft OCR engine. Not all system languages are supported.
The Microsoft OCR engine needs to be manually installed.
- Download and install Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Choose your Office version and language here, and follow the instructions to set up the desired language.
Tesseract OCR is enabled by the UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities package through the UiPath.Vision dependency. A language file needs to be placed in the
%UserProfile%\.nuget\packages\uipath.vision\1.x.x\build\tessdata folder, where
1.x.x is the UiPath.Vision dependency version of the UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities package that you use. You can check the UiPath.Vision dependency version from the Package Manager while the UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities package is selected.
The table below displays the corresponding version of the dependency for each UiPath.UIAutomation.Activities package:
18.3.6877.28298, 18.3.6897.22543, 18.3.6962.28967
18.4.2, 18.4.3, 18.4.4, 18.4.5, 19.1.0
A new language file is added as follows:
- Search for the desired language file on this page.
- Save the file in the
tessdatafolder of the NuGet cache directory (
- Restart UiPath Studio for the new languages to become available. The language can now be used in Studio by adding its name between quotation marks (“ron”).
ABBYY FineReader Engine SDK is required. The engine only works with a license distributed by the UiPath sales department.
- Contact our sales department to obtain a functional ABBYY FineReader Engine SDK License.
1.1. Access the Contact us page.
1.2. Go to Technical Support & Activations.
1.3. Request a license by filling up the form.
1.4. Choose “Service Request” after providing a Name and Email.
- Press Win + S to open up Search.
- Type CMD and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. This opens Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges.
- Navigate to the download directory.
cd.. to go up one folder and
cd folder_name to access a specific folder in Command Prompt.
Setup.exe /qb /v INSTALLDIR="C:\Abbyy\FR11" SN=serialkey ARCH=x86 LICENSESRV=Yes.
/vswitches handle the interface and caching options.
INSTALLDIRis the installation path.
SNis the serial number obtained at step 1.
ARCHrepresents the installation architecture which needs to match that of UiPath Studio.
- Navigate to the Bin folder in the installation directory. It should look something like
LicenseManager.exe /SilentActivation /SN:serialkeyto activate the license key.
/SilentActivationswitch disables user prompts.
SNis the serial number obtained at step 1.
- Restart UiPath Studio to use ABBYY OCR.
|Example of using OCR and Image Automation|
|About Image and Text Automation|
|Output or Screen Scraping Methods|