Assets usually represent shared variables or credentials that can be used in different automation projects. They allow you to store specific information so that the Robots can easily access it.
Additionally, an extra level of security is provided, as all assets of type Credential stored here are encrypted with the AES 256 algorithm. They can be invoked by RPA developers when designing a process, but their values can be hidden from them.
The Assets page enables you to create new assets. It also displays all previously created assets, which can be edited or deleted.
The Get Asset and Get Credential activities used in Studio request information from Orchestrator about a specific asset, according to a provided AssetName. If the AssetName provided in Studio coincides with the name of an asset stored in the Orchestrator database, and the Robot has the required permissions, the asset information is retrieved and used by the Robot when executing the automation project. For more information, see the Managing Assets in UiPath Studio page.
There are four types of assets:
- Text - stores only strings (it is not required to add quotation marks)
- Bool - supports true or false values
- Integer - stores only whole numbers
- Credential - contains usernames and passwords that the Robot requires to execute particular processes, such as login details for SAP or SalesForce.
All asset types are encrypted in the Orchestrator database by default.
Existing assets are also encrypted when updated.
The value assigned to an asset can have either or both of the following value types:
All accounts receive the asset value unless a specific value is assigned on a per-account basis.
- All accounts receive the asset value.
- All accounts receive the global value, except for John Smith, who receives a particular value only defined for their account.
Value Per Account-Machine
The value is received only by the specified account-machine pair. When specifying account-machine pairs, make sure they are valid i.e., the configured account-machine mappings in the tenant or folder do not exclude them, otherwise job execution is not possible on that pair, hence the asset does nothing.
- Assets per user-machine only work on Robots v20.10 or newer.
Value Per Account
The value is received only by the specified account. If Global Value is disabled, at least one per-account value must be provided.
Upon upgrading to v2020.10, existing assets in modern folders are migrated to assets using a global value and no per-account value.
Updated about a year ago