Use mock testing on your activities to isolate and focus on specific test case functions.
You can create a mock file of your workflow by selecting Mock workflow under test in the Create Test Case window. This creates a copy of your workflow with the name
workflowName_mock and stores it in Project > Mocks. This folder mirrors the source workflow file tree structure. For example, if your workflow is stored in the Project tab as
production\testFolder01\testCase07.xaml, the correspondent mock file is stored as
In a practical scenario, you have an application that writes directly in a database but you want it to write on the screen. You can use Surround with mock to test this specific function, without having to make any changes to your main test case. As a general note, consider using mocks for tests that have permanent effects in production or require special resources.
- Within mock files, you can only edit the mocked activities.
- You can have multiple mock files for a workflow.
mock.jsonfile contains configuration settings for mock files.
- In a Given-When-Then test case structure, Surround with mock is only available for activities within When.
- Changes made in the source workflow file are applied to the mock file when you Save your project. Alternatively, you can manually sync your mock files. For more information, see Mock Testing Actions.
- Synchronization does not work if the mock file is open with changes to be saved.
- Deleting a workflow associated with a mock file prompts you to choose whether you want to remove both files.
- The activity coverage indicator only takes into account the activities included in the source workflow, thus, not calculating any coverage of your mock activities.
The following table lists the actions that you can take for your mock testing.
Create mock workflow
Create a copy of your main workflow for mock testing.
Remove mock activity
Remove the mock that surrounds your activity
Surround activity with mock
Insert a mock activity.
Sync your mock files or folders with the source workflow file or folders, respectively.
Updated 3 months ago