The first time you run Studio after installation, a wizard helps you activate and get started with your product. The activation method you are prompted with is determined by the type of installation you performed, but you can switch to another type of activation by clicking More Options in the wizard:
- If your organization purchased UiPath Automation Cloud or you are installing Studio as part of a trial of UiPath Automation Cloud, you are prompted to activate by signing in to your UiPath account.
- If your organization purchased the on-premises UiPath Platform, you are prompted to activate by connecting to Orchestrator with your machine key.
- If you are installing Studio as part of a trial of the on-premises UiPath Platform, you are prompted to activate by adding a license key.
- If you installed the Community Edition of Studio, you are prompted to activate by signing in to your UiPath account.
The first time you run Studio after installing Studio with an installer downloaded from UiPath Automation Cloud, you are prompted to sign in to your UiPath account.
- Click Sign in to sign in to your UiPath account. To find out more information about signing in, click Learn more.
- A new browser window opens. If you are not already logged in, log in with your email or using one of the available providers.
- After logging in, your web browser prompts you to open UiPath. Click Open UiPath to return to Studio and continue.
- If your user has access to multiple tenants, select which tenant to connect to, and then click Continue. If you have access to a single tenant, you are connected to it with no further input required.
- You are signed in to your UiPath account and connected to Orchestrator in both Studio and Assistant, your product is activated, and a quick step-by-step tutorial is displayed to help you start creating automations.
The first time you run Studio after installing Studio with an installer obtained when purchasing the on-premises UiPath Platform, you are prompted to connect to Orchestrator with your machine key.
- Enter the Orchestrator URL and Machine Key, and then click Continue. Please note that
UiPathStudio.msicannot acquire licenses from a Community Orchestrator.
- If you don't want to connect to Orchestrator, select More Options, and then Standalone Options to activate by adding a license key.
- You are connected to Orchestrator in both Studio and the Assistant, a license key is acquired from Orchestrator, and a quick step-by-step tutorial is displayed to help you start creating automations.
When Studio is licensed via Orchestrator (either by signing in or connecting to Orchestrator with you machine key), the Help tab mentions License Provider: Orchestrator. Otherwise, the same text states Internal.
Please bare in mind that any license change is performed only after Studio is restarted.
The first time you run Studio after installing Studio with an installer obtained as part of a trial of the on-premises UiPath Platform, you can activate locally using a license key. A local license can also be activated with the LicenseTool Command Line Utility.
To activate a license key:
- Select the Automatic option to license online.
- Fill in the Add License Key field with the license key you received.
- Click the Continue button. Your UiPath license is now activated and you can start creating automation workflows.
An Activation Error might be displayed during the licensing process if an antivirus is installed on the machine. To avoid the error message, Studio has to be whitelisted in both the antivirus and the Firewall.
If Studio is licensed locally, but you still want to connect it to Orchestrator, make sure you select the External license check box when creating its Robot in Orchestrator. This ensures that Orchestrator does not allocate a license from its pool, as Studio defaults to the local one.
The UiPath suite can be activated while running the UiPath Platform installer by providing your license code when prompted during the installation.
When using the
UiPathStudio.msi installer, activation can also be done using the Command Prompt. To perform this action you must run it with the
CODE argument, followed by the license code. For example:
Also, for an unattended installation, there are some silent parameters that you can use:
/quiet- Quiet mode, no user interaction
/passive- Unattended mode - progress bar only
/q[n|b|r]- Sets user interface level
n- No UI
b- Basic UI
r- Reduced UI
C:\UiPathStudio.msi CODE=1234567890 /passive - installs all the default features and activates your license, showing a progress bar.
- Make sure the CNG Key Isolation service is running. This is required by UiPath to validate your license offline.
- If you are renewing your license, please first delete the License folder from
%ProgramData%/UiPath, then follow the steps described below.
- The offline activation steps documented below are not available for the Community Edition. If you can't activate the Community Edition online, select More Options > Standalone Options > Use Community Offline in the activation wizard.
When UiPath Studio is installed on a machine that is not connected to the internet or when your network security software/firewall prevents access to our license validation server, you can manually activate it with the LicenseTool Command Line Utility.
Alternatively, you can use the activation wizard by following the steps below:
- Select More Options > Standalone Options if you're not already in the Add License Key screen.
- Fill in the Add License Key field with the license key you received.
- Click the Manual activation option.
- Click the Continue button. The first step of manual activation is displayed and an Activation Request code is generated and copied to clipboard.
- Copy the Activation Request code to an email message or text file, and press the Continue button.
Keep the Activation wizard open until the process is complete.
- Send the activation request code to a computer with Internet access.
- On the computer with Internet access navigate to https://activate.uipath.com/.
- Make sure the Activate Your License tab is selected on the webpage, and paste the Activation Request code in the Activation Request Certificate field and click the Generate License File. The license code is generated.
- Choose between Download License File to save the license code to a
.txtfile on your machine, or copy the license code to clipboard.
- Attach the downloaded
.txtfile or paste the license in an email and send it to the computer with no Internet access or firewall restrictions.
- On the machine you want to activate your license on, press the Continue button in the second step of the Manual Activation wizard. The third and last step of the Manual Activation wizard is displayed.
- In the Activation field paste the license code obtained during step 10.
- Press the Continue button. Your license is now activated.
When you perform a fresh installation as part of a trial of the on-premises UiPath Platform or using the Community Edition of Studio, after activating you are prompted to select which profile to use (Studio, StudioX, or Studio Pro).
If you have an Enterprise license, the Studio profile is automatically selected after activation based on the license allocation in Orchestrator.
You can switch to another user profile at any time from Studio by going to Home (Backstage view) > Settings > License and Profile > View or Change Profile.
The Studio Pro profile is available only with a Studio Pro license. If you have a StudioX license, you can only use the StudioX profile.
Switching between profiles can also be done using the following command-line parameters:
-p Development: to switch to Studio profile;
-p Business: to switch to StudioX profile;
-p StudioPro: to switch to Studio Pro profile.
To do so, open
cmd in the directory where Studio is installed, and type in the following command:
UiPath\Studio\UiPath.Studio.exe -p Business, then press Enter. Studio opens in the StudioX profile.
The commands are case-sensitive. If an incorrect argument is inputted, the default profile Studio is opened. The list of Recent projects is persisted per profile.
You can change a local license key from Studio by going to Home (Backstage view) > Settings > License and Profile.
Click Change Local License, enter the new license key, and click Continue.
Updated 24 days ago