Lets you select an Excel file to use in the automation and enables StudioX to integrate with Excel, making the data in the file available to all the activities in your project. After you add the card, you can select data from the file directly from StudioX when configuring activities. It also works as a container where to add other Excel activities you perform on the file.
If the Excel file you work with does not exist at the time you design the automation (for example, the file may be downloaded during the automation) you can define an additional exiting Excel file with a similar format for use at design time to configure the activities in the automation.
StudioX currently supports only files with the .xlsx and .xlsm extensions.
In StudioX versions prior to v2019.12, if you select a large Excel file, you may experience performance issues and StudioX may stop responding when you configure activities that use the file.
To learn how to use this activity, see:
- Tutorial: Creating a Pivot Table.
- Tutorial: Iterating through Rows in a Table.
- Tutorial: Comparing Excel Files and Emailing Reconciliation Errors.
- Browse for an Excel file - Click next to the field, and then browse to and select a file with the .xlsx extension.
If you need to work with a file with a dynamic name, such as a file downloaded daily under a different name that includes the date, you can provide the file path using one of the options in the menu on the right side of the field. For example, select a cell in the Excel Workspace where the file path can be extracted daily using the provided formulas, or select Ask when run to enter the path to the file when executing the project. In this situation, you must also indicate an additional existing file to use for configuring the activities in the automation by selecting Use design time file.
- And reference it later as - Enter a name under which to reference the file later in activities in the automation project.
- Use design time file - If you need to use a different file at design time, select this option, and then indicate a file on your computer with a similar format to the file to automate. The design time file is available in the automation only if your selection for the file to use in the automation, as defined in Browse for an Excel file, is either Ask when run or a dynamic path (not the path to an existing Excel file).
- Display Name - The name displayed for the activity in the Designer panel.
- EditPassword - The password required for editing the Excel workbook, if the file is password-protected.
- Password - The password required for opening the Excel workbook, if the file is password-protected.
- WorkbookPath - The path to the Excel file. If the file does not exist and you select the CreateNewFile option, StudioX creates the file.
- Private - If selected, the data used in the activity is not logged by StudioX.
- AutoSave - Saves the workbook on each change caused by an activity. If disabled, the changes are saved only when the execution of project is completed. By default, this option is selected.
- CreateNewFile - When selected, if the workbook cannot be found at the specified path, a new Excel workbook is created with the name specified in the WorkbookPath property field. When cleared, if the workbook cannot be found at the specified path, an error message is displayed. By default, this option is selected.
- ReadOnly - If selected, the specified workbook is opened in Read-Only mode. Selecting this check box enables you to perform data extraction operations in an Excel file which is locked for editing or has an edit password. By default, this option is not selected.
- Visible - If selected, the Excel file is opened in the foreground while performing actions on it. If not selected, all operations are done in the background. By default, this option is selected.
Updated 2 years ago